Our Baby

pregnancy due date

Aug 8, 2011

18 Weeks

I am going to post early this week, since I will post a special blog for our Wednesday appointment. I am excited about Wednesday because we will see baby again, and we will find out if we are having a boy or a girl. We do not care either way, as long as our baby is healthy. I know God has designed the perfect child for us and our family.  When I say perfect, I mean God’s perfection and not the worlds.
This week is going pretty smooth. On Saturday, my mom, Libbie (mother in law), and the girls went shopping in Ft. Worth. We were able to pick up a lot of things for baby. We bought the co-sleeper, breast pump bottles, a gown for the hospital, changing pad, changing pad cover, new nursing cover (which I love, it is better quality than the other one I have), blanket with a hood, and I bought two gender neutral outfits. I need to take pictures so I can post them.
Sunday was not a great day. I felt awful and I still feel awful today. I have had a headache for almost 24 hours and now my throat is starting to hurt. I think my body and hormones are changing again. I was kinda snappy at Mark this weekend, which happens when my hormones change. He is a real trooper; he knows how to make me feel better, even when I am not feeling well. I love my wonderful husband.
We already set up the co-sleeper. We are trying to decide what is going to work best for us and where to official put the co-sleeper. I really like having the co-sleeper next to me; it will be convenient for nursing after I have my c-section. This is the main reason for buying it, I know it will help me, so I will not have to get in and out of bed. I posted a picture of a co-sleeper, just in case you do not know what I am talking about. It is a way to have the baby sleep next to you, without being in your bed.


We decided our parenting style is going to be based on attachment parenting. If you want to find out more information, you can Google Dr. Sears, attachment parenting. What I like about attachment parenting is that it is a set of tools for you to use. Based on your situation, you can use the tools that are best for you and your child. The main point they push is using your own instincts and using your best judgment for your baby. Most of the wolrd, outside of the USA and Europe, use these methods. I feel these methods are based on the way God designed us to care for our children. Again, what I love about them is that you can use what is best for your child at the moment. These are just tools to help you along that path. The following are the 7 tools you can use for attachment parenting.
Birth Bond – This will be difficult for us, since I am having a c-section. There are other ways to bond with your baby after they are born. Like I said these are tools and you do not have to use all of them.
Breastfeeding – We are going to be breastfeeding.
Baby Wearing – Wearing a baby in a sling or wrap. This allows the baby to see things at an adult level and watch what an adult is doing. As they the babies grow, they are learning more.
Bedding Close to Baby – This is why we bought the co-sleeper. This can reduce the changes of SIDS, since the mom is close to the baby. They give you tips on how to transition baby from your bedroom to their bedroom.
Belief in a Baby’s Cry – “A baby's cry is a signal designed for the survival of the baby and the development of the parents. Responding sensitively to your baby's cries builds trust. Babies trust that their caregivers will be responsive to their needs. Parents gradually learn to trust in their ability to appropriately meet their baby's needs. This raises the parent-child communication level up a notch. Tiny babies cry to communicate, not to manipulate.” – Dr. Sears. We are not using the cry it out method.
Beware of Baby Trainers – “Attachment parenting teaches you how to be discerning of advice, especially those rigid and extreme parenting styles that teach you to watch a clock or a schedule instead of your baby; you know, the cry-it-out crowd. This "convenience" parenting is a short-term gain, but a long-term loss, and is not a wise investment. These more restrained styles of parenting create a distance between you and your baby and keep you from becoming an expert in your child.” –Dr. Sears
Balance – It is important to give your baby all your attention, but if you are starting to get frustrated and things are working, then it is time to change to something else. Again, I cannot say this enough, this is what I love about this style of parenting, it allows you to be flexible based on your baby. Sum it up in Dr. Sear’s words “AP is an approach, rather than a strict set of rules. It's actually the style that many parents use instinctively. Parenting is too individual and baby too complex for there to be only one way. The important point is to get connected to your baby, and the baby B's of attachment parenting help. Once connected, stick with what is working and modify what is not. You will ultimately develop your own parenting style that helps parent and baby find a way to fit – the little word that so economically describes the relationship between parent and baby.”
For more information on attachment parenting: http://www.askdrsears.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment